Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Festive Interlude

We'll take a short break from our reflections on the Book of Revelation. Today marks a year since I, with fear and trembling, published my first post here on Word Incarnate. I may have to go to Purgatory for this, but I do feel a certain sense of satisfaction, along with gratitude, of course, for having made it this far. My original intention was to write a couple posts a week, expecting to dry up after a few months, but it has turned into a daily (almost) labor of love. I'm just short of my 300th post. This is something I could never have done without the grace of the Holy Spirit (I launched the blog during the week after Pentecost last year), and without your prayer support as well. Just in case you haven't been praying for me, feel free to start any time now.

So I'm celebrating by writing this short, useless little post marking the first anniversary of Word Incarnate. I don't know what the next year will bring, or whether I can write another 300 posts without repeating myself too much. But I'll take it one day at a time, praying to the Holy Spirit, reflecting on the word of God, trying to communicate the truth and love of God in a time and society which needs it very badly, but which is lamentably closing its eyes, ears, and heart to Him who stands at the door and knocks (Revelation 3:20). One man who commented on a recent post remarked that what I wrote was simply the faith of the Church, yet that is precisely why it is unpopular with many, why the substance of it remains unpreached from most pulpits. What used to be standard Catholic fare needs to be so again, even if most people seem to prefer a more bland or unhealthy diet.

Anyway, I give thanks to God and to those of you who have encouraged me to persevere. I've no laurels to rest upon, for I've not yet been "faithful unto death," which is the requirement for receiving "the crown of life" (Rev. 2:10). I hope to be like the servant who is found doing the Master's will and watching for his return. Someday, at length, when I've finally done enough, they'll find me slumped over my computer keyboard, hand on the mouse, cursor pointing to the "publish post" icon, having been about to give you one more day of Word Incarnate...